Thursday, July 22, 2010
Cookies for Kids' Cancer
Today I want to introduce you to a wonderful organization that is making great strides in raising funds to fight pediatric cancers. Cookies for Kid's Cancer was started by the mother of a precious 2-year old boy named Liam. He was diagnosed with a deadly cancer called Neuroblastoma, a disease that only about 30% of children survive. Here are a few facts from the Cookies for Kid's Cancer website...
Cookies for Kids' Cancer is committed to raising funds to support research for new and improved therapies for pediatric cancer. Through the concept of local bake sales, Cookies for Kids' Cancer provides the inspiration and support for individuals, communities, and businesses to help fight pediatric cancer.
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is not about one child or one type of pediatric cancer. It is about improving the survival rates for all pediatric cancers. Important statistics to know:
· There has not been a new drug developed specifically for pediatric cancer treatment in nearly 20 years.
· The treatments most children receive today were created for adults and have not been proven truly safe for children.
· If children survive the initial treatments, they are often left with other life threatening conditions from the aggressive treatments intended to save them.
· The survival rates for pediatric cancers have improved from where they were in the 80's when very few children survived at all.
· The unfortunate reality is that progress has all but stalled and survival rates lag behind most adult cancers. Breast cancer for example now has survival rates over 90%.
Please visit http://www.cookiesforkidscancer.org to learn more about this wonderful organization and how you can help to make a difference.
Posted by Robert at 9:34 AM